Topic

[Surgery]  Dental Implant Surgery Questions - Implant Design & Features

Let's start talking about dental implants: 

by Bernard Jin at Tue, Jan 4, 2011 2:59 AM

10166 Views | 2 Replies

Replies

Mark Kwon Replied at Thu, Jan 13, 2011 1:56 AM

"Plat form switching" -- the buzz word these days~~ It is a good concept. It works well in some clinical situtions. It works especially well for anterior cases where space is tight. It can maintain bone height if the fixture is placed correctly. The issue that i have with "platform switching concept" is that too many manufacturer's use this aspect of design to increase their sales. It is a part of a design. It definitely is not end-all and be-all of the implant design. I find that too many doctors don't quite understand how plat-form switching concept actually works. We will go over this again in the prosthetic class of our upcoming study clubs.

Bernard Jin Replied at Tue, Jan 4, 2011 3:26 AM

A few of you have asked about platform switching and its relevance to implant dentistry. It is my opinion that platform switching provides the implant surgeon with benefits of osseous 'clearance' in tight situations where minimal lateral (mesio-distal) space exists. For example, if you needed to place implants in an upper right canine and lateral incisor site, but the upper right 1st bicuspid has drifted mesially reducing the ideal space required for implant placement, an implant with platform switched (slightly tapered coronal design) can come in handy; instead of limiting yourself to narrow platform implants only, you could possibly still employ a regular platform implant in the site(s). This is also beneficial in areas of tight/minimal spacing - for example the lower incisors. Rem: with implant placement, often the bone is flexible (to a degree) allowing the implant to be placed whilst permitting the bone to 'rebound' from its stretched form around the coronal neck of the implant.