Topic

[Surgery]  Restoration time after the surgery

Dear Mark/Bernard

One quick question, I saw my patient for a post op check and removed the sutures.  Everything is good. 

Do I need to wait for 4 months or 6 months until I place the restoration, and if so, how do I check if it's stable and integrated?  (and I am not prepared to buy that machine to test the stability of the implant yet)

by Admin BITES at Tue, Oct 30, 2012 7:59 PM

1640 Views | 2 Replies

Replies

Mark Kwon Replied at Tue, Nov 13, 2012 8:34 PM

Typically 4 month of healing after a simple implant surgery is enough for integration. 1. Percussion test - solid high pitch sound 2. No mobility noted during HA (healing abutment) removal 3. No apparent radioluscency around the fixture Me, personally, do not recommend reverse torque test. - mark

Bernard Jin Replied at Tue, Oct 30, 2012 10:24 PM

Great question. If you dont have/or plan not to purchase a RFA machine, then I would recommend waiting for 4 months provided I got good torque during placement. Back when i did not have the machine, I would perform a Reverse Torque test on the implant. Naturally if everything was working fine the implant would resist a reverse torque of 35 Ncm And I would proceed with my impression taking. However if the implant actually moved then it would have to heal again (unloaded) for another several months. You can also take a tapping approach to the implant. Using the end of an intro oral mirror handle - Checking for an Integrated sound. But because this is so subjective opinions on integration can vary from person-to-person. If the implant initial stability was poor (ie < 25Ncm), then I typically would try to wait for 6 months. Typically if you want to err on the safe side, you can't do any harm by waiting longer. Typically my recommendations are if in doubt wait. Generally by 6 months most implants will have integrated enough to tolerate the reverse torque test. Hope that helps! :)