Topic

[Surgery]  Denture over LAS surgical site

How big of a concern is it to have a patient who has a complete upper denture, who needs LAS surgery to elevate the sinus and cannot go without his denture for even a day, to wear the denture over bilateral sites?

by Angela Mulrooney at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:16 PM

1565 Views | 7 Replies

Replies

Steve Johnson Replied at Sun, Nov 25, 2012 5:05 PM

Mark, What is your protocol for antibiotic coverage , in a patient with allergic responses to both amox and clindo, if an SA 4/3 are planned. Steve Johnson.

Mark Kwon Replied at Wed, Nov 21, 2012 5:26 PM

Dear Angela, Great question. I normally ask to continue wear CUD after a typical lateral approach. I simply free-up some space inside denture to accomodate for swelling. Anterior augmentation is a different story, because you are onlaying the graft material. Whereas in SA4 , graft inside the ridge not outside. Hope this help. - mark

Angela Mulrooney Replied at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:28 PM

Great! Thanks for your help Bernard!

Bernard Jin Replied at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:23 PM

Yes - if possible, the patient should cease wearing his/her CUD after LAS surgery for at least 5 days +. The rationale for this is that his/her CUD flange will impinge upon the flap causing it to experience undesirable forces (possibly tearing/opening up) leading to an oro-antral fistula. Lots depends on the flap design & closure of the site. Ideally you'd want a sutured site that is not under pressure. A denture flange would contribute negatively in force/pressure. hope that helps :)

Angela Mulrooney Replied at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:20 PM

Another surgery had placed a graft in his Maxillary anterior which failed because the denture split the gingiva back open. Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the posterior?

Angela Mulrooney Replied at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:19 PM

Yes, that is what I meant.

Bernard Jin Replied at Tue, Nov 20, 2012 8:19 PM

Hi Angela - thanks for your post. I'm not quite sure i understand the question. Are you asking if the patient should cease wearing his denture after LAS surgery?