Topic

[Surgery]  Tack Removal

Hi all,

I have started using tacks for lower mandibular bone grafting for a few months. Now I need to remove them during implant placements and just realized I don't know how to take them out. haha. The one I have is from citagenix. Do tacks usually come out easy by grabbing and shaking? How do you usually remove them? Kind of dumb question but thought doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Sunny.

by Sunny Cha at Tue, Jul 23, 2013 5:23 PM

1514 Views | 3 Replies

Replies

Sunny Cha Replied at Thu, Aug 1, 2013 9:32 PM

For above question i meant either for tenting with particulate graft or block bone. thanks.

Sunny Cha Replied at Thu, Aug 1, 2013 9:02 PM

Yes, these are tacks. not bone screws. Thank you for your advise. I'll try what you suggested here. If these were bone screws, do you unscrew them? wouldn't that may cause cracking and fracturing of healing bone? Thanks.

Mark Kwon Replied at Thu, Jul 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Dear Sunny, This is a great question. I assume this is tacks and not bone screws?? Tacks are relatively easy. I recommend making very small incision right over the mucosa and teasing it out using 2/4 molt or lucas currette. And just using 5.0 chromic gut suture for a clean and simple closure. I personally dont like to raise big flap just to get down to the tack. I think thats over kill. Dr. Dennis smiley in California dont even remove them, he just leaves them in there indefinitely. Ive done that in the past few times as well without any issues. Some of it depends on your preference and training. Hope this help. - mark