Topic

[Surgery]  The microscope ( magnification ) and dental implant surgery

Even implant surgery can benefit from the operating microscope. From simple soft tissue surgery around a healing cap with a laser done under the scope to a complex ridge split the microscope magnification and illumination can improve your treatment. There are multiple magnifications on the scope so placement can be done at 2.1 X mag but closeup inspection throughout can occur at the turn of the turret to allow for views at higher magnifications. Here is a simple one tooth case done under the microscope.  This post is not intended to suggest that ALL implants must be placed with a microscope....far from it, but that microscopes can be used for more than endo. Magnification and illumination is of paramount importance for all our disciplines indentistry including implants. The microscope helps improve precision , ergonomics of treatment reducing back and neck pain, communication with dental team members, patients and colleagues through live streaming video ( attached to the scope) and finally through improvements in documentation ( microphotography and microvideography)......its just food for thought!

by Glenn van As at Wed, Feb 5, 2014 5:42 AM

1663 Views | 4 Replies

Attached Images

Replies

Glenn van As Replied at Sat, Feb 15, 2014 11:11 PM

Your still a young guy Dr. Kwon...wait til you get more gray hair like me!!

Mark Kwon Replied at Sat, Feb 15, 2014 11:07 PM

makes me want to buy one of those! good job!

Glenn van As Replied at Thu, Feb 6, 2014 2:46 PM

Thanks Ho- Young....its easy when I take the photos through the microscope as I am working...makes for great photos and really magnified. I think it helps with teaching and learning. Documentation is a big big part of the learning curve to improving your skiills...as is visualization as you mentioned to me and I will discuss on Feb 17th at my treatment planning seminar for BITES and how to go from starting implants to having them as a big part of your practice. Glenn

Glenn van As Replied at Wed, Feb 5, 2014 5:44 AM

Last phew photos from the above case. The soft tissue around the healing cap on the buccal was excised with an erbium laser quickly and easily to allow for ideal closure with two PTFE sutures.