Topic

[Surgery]  Bone tack Removal

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to remove bone tacks after PRF/particulate grafting?

I spent a long time removing the 3 tacks I used to hold down the membrane.  I am wondering if should use shorter bone tacks next time or 

maybe there is a tool to unscrew the bone tacks.  

Thanks

JM

by Jessey Minhas at Wed, Oct 7, 2015 4:34 PM

1352 Views | 1 Replies

Attached Images

Replies

Mark Kwon Replied at Thu, Oct 8, 2015 3:11 PM

Hi, Thanks for the upload. Wow... Bone Tacks! ... I haven't used one for ages. Those look more like bone screws. If this is the one you used screw-driver to place, then it is bone screws. If you used to mallet it in, then it is bone tacks. Bone tacks usually come in two sizes 3mm and 5 mm length. Above definitely is longer than 5mm from look of the x-ray. If it is bone tack, they are easy to remove, just use 2/4 molt curette or lucas curette to pop them out. Make sure pt don't accidentally swallow them. If it is bone screws, you need the same screw-driver you used to place them. Just reverse the screw and they should come out easily. Be careful not to strip the screw head. If you do , you will need to drill them out... which is definitely no fun. Good luck, - mark